Workcamp May/2017: Kyale Small Home
Kenia / Cooperation for development
Volunteer in Makueni County in Eastern Kenya and work with physically handicapped children in the Kyale Small Home. The institution consists of a school and a home, which has been in existence since 1994. A Primary School and Catholic Church surround this home, which currently houses 20 physically handicapped children. These kids are boys and girls aged between 10 to 19 years. They have suffered accidents, snakebites and Polio, were handicapped from or during birth, among other causes.
The idea of this project is to make a difference in the life of children and young adults with special needs and disabilities in order to become self-reliant and integrated into mainstream life without fear of stigmatization.
NATURE OF WORK
- Teaching the disabled children various subjects (mathematics, English, debates, etc)
- Care giving services, including: washing, cooking, serving, feeding and cleaning
- Organizing extra-curricular activities, like sports, for the children
- Working in the farm of the home to improve farm outputs
ARRIVAL AT THE AIRPORT
When you are booking your flight, please make sure that your arrival is at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi. You can get you visa at the Airport in Nairobi upon you arrival. It is also possible for you to apply for an e-Visa before your arrival via a dedicated internet portal at 'www.ecitizen.go.ke'. You can use the CIVS address as your address while in Kenya.
We will pick up all volunteers taking part in this workcamp from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi. CIVS will arrange accommodation before and after the workcamp in a host family in the Buruburu area of Nairobi.
ACCOMMODATION AND SITES OF INTEREST
Accommodation will be at the project in this workcamp and it is important that you have your own sleeping bag and mat. During the workcamp, volunteers will get food from locally available foodstuffs and the volunteers will share the responsibility of preparing the food.
In this workcamp, volunteers can visit Machakos town, which is about a 1-hour drive from the project. You can view Africa's highest mountain, Mt. Kilimanjaro, from the home and you can experience the traditional Akamba homes built by the Kamba people.
Volunteers participating in this project will be required to pay 265 Euros. This cost will include:
- Airport pick up upon arrival & Airport drop off after the workcamp
- Up to 3 nights' accommodation in Nairobi
- Introduction to Kenyan life through a Nairobi City Center Tour before the workcamp
- Workcamp Orientation at the CIVS office in Nairobi or the workcamp site
- Food (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
- Workcamp facilitation and mentoring of volunteers by an experienced workcamp leader
- Certificate of participation for the volunteer
- All administrative costs